Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Walking in an Exaggerated Manner: 2013 Recreation



     In Walking in an Exaggerated Manner around the Perimeter of a Square, we basically see a compilation of all of the central themes that Bruce Nauman's work revolves around.  These themes include circularity, repetition, minimalism, and body awareness.  The setting of the ten minute video is an average, every day art studio.  There is a shabby looking stool and art work remnants on the floor.  There is also a mirror propped up to reveal what is off camera, what you didn't expect to see.  Bruce Nauman walks forwards and backwards around the perimeter of a taped off square.  He exaggerates every step and shifts his weight back and forth between his hips, creating a contrapposto posture.  He has a blank stare throughout the performance.  At first glance, the video seems like it would be incredibly boring with nothing changing throughout the piece.  But when you watch it closer, you notice the little moments of tension and anticipation when he struggles to hold his balance.
     Interpretations of the video can include the questioning of what is and isn't art, body awareness, minimalism, repetition, and circularity.  I believe that this piece was a chance for Nauman to show how the artist's awareness of his/her own body is communicated to the viewer.  There is a quote from an interview that Bruce Nauman did where he says, "An awareness of yourself comes from a certain amount of activity and you can't get it from just thinking about yourself.  You do exercises . . . So the films and some of the pieces that I did after that for videotapes were specifically about doing exercises in balance."  This piece, to me, is so simple and effortless, and yet so thought out at the same time. 
     After recreating this piece, I can honestly say that though it may look effortless, it wasn't!  I set up my garage to look as close to his studio as possible, with the masking tape squares, plain backdrop, shabby stool, tilted mirror, and remnant art work (my Honk if this is Art sign).  I even wore similar clothing.  My only real difference there was that he was barefoot and I instead wore socks (the garage floor was freezing!)  I practiced up a bit to figure out how many times I would need to walk around the square and decided on five times.  Then came the hard part.  Walking slowly in an exaggerated manner is really challenging!  It feels very awkward and unstable.  I lost my balance quite a bit but got through it. 
   When I first saw his piece I thought he had such a sexy confident tone to his strut without really trying.  I wanted my piece to have the same vibe.  This may sound a bit strange, but I didn't feel like I would be able to capture that feeling with my hands just at my sides.  I felt much more confident and feminine with my hands on my hips.  Hopefully that comes through to the viewers.  I didn't want it to seem like I was trying to walk "sexy" or anything, but just poised and confident which, inevitably, is sexy.
   The significance of recreating Bruce Nauman's piece is simply that the piece is timeless.  It was made years before I was ever even thought of, and yet when I watched it, I immediately was drawn to it.  Even after all these years it still feels fresh and relatable.  I think that is the power of minimalism.  When things are kept simple they are more open to interpretation, and therefore, can become much more relatable.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment