Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Cumulative Acts Proposal

I have always been fascinated with buttons.  Over the past few years, I have made a habit out of making birthday and holiday cards for my loved ones.  My special trademark I always include is a button.  I incorporate them in various ways and experiment with new uses for them with each card I make.  Though this project was very open ended and I could take it in a lot of different ways, I kept picturing something made with buttons.  In my head I saw a piece of clean, white Bristol paper with a silhouetted image made of buttons and a scripture or phrase below it. 
I will draw a basic outline in pencil of the silhouetted image, so I have a map of where to hot glue buttons.  I will add a couple buttons each day.  I will take at least one picture each day of the development of the image. The documentation and the probability that I will most likely have to add multiple layers of buttons will show the time put into the work. 
I plan on framing the final product and hanging it where I can see it everyday, because I know I'll love it! 
I already went out and bought lots of buttons, because I was running low at home.  I think I want a multicolored sparrow on a branch.  The saying beneath will be one of my favorites, which is also on the front of my diary.  It will read "His eye is on the sparrow And I know He watches me."  I will write the phrase in something equivalent to a MicronPen.
This piece will be very me.  The buttons are all my favorite colors, the background will be clean and simplistic, the bird will have a vintage feel to it, and the saying will be about God.  I'm excited!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am intrigued! How large is the surface on which you work? Will you give yourself room to work large or will you be forced to add layers on top of layers? Why hot glue instead of pin or sew? How do you think your process, materials, and the time involved in the piece will conceptually relate to the saying at the bottom? I think you may enjoy the artist Ran Hwang in relation to your project...she works with buttons and pins on a large scale. I'm excited to see how this turns out!

    ReplyDelete